Walsall advertiser dating
It was converted into a cinema in 1933 and was demolished in 1937.
A new Literary Institute was founded in 1884, holding weekly lectures in the Temperance Hall. During the 18 seasons both clubs apparently stopped playing, but in 1852 the Walsall Cricket Club was re-formed and took a new lease of the Chuckery ground. 86) An Independent Cricket Club was founded at Bloxwich . In the 1880s the two clubs had adjoining grounds at the Chuckery.
It was rebuilt as the Grand Theatre in 1890 to the design of Daniel Arkell of Birmingham and became a variety theatre again in 1899.
Today I attended the opening, by the Mayor of Walsall Councillor Tom Ansell, of a new permanent exhibition at Walsall Museum, which is housed in the Walsall Central Library in Lichfield Street.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. By 1612 a wake was held at Walsall late in September. 1) It may thus have originated in festivities at the St. In that year, however, Patrick Collins, the amusement caterer, bought land behind his home, Lime Tree House in High Street, for use as a fair ground. 7) The wake was held there until the land was sold in 1970. 8) Since then it has taken place on temporary sites. 9) A traditional custom at Walsall was the throwing of apples, nuts, and hot copper coins from the guildhall windows to the assembled populace on St. In 1804 it was claimed that there had been no bullbaiting for more than 20 years. It was apparently never printed in Walsall, and in its later issues contained little or no Walsall news. 72) Another weekly, the Liberal was established in 1857 by J. In 1892 it was enlarged, began to provide normal news coverage, and became a penny newspaper. It returned temporarily to Maw Green in 1900 but since 1903 has played on the Hillary Street ground, known since at least 1931 as Fellows Park after H. About 1901, however, it moved to a field behind the Red Lion, Leamore, the club's headquarters from at least 1910. 89) The first known friendly societies in Walsall were formed in the 1760s, and the first known societies in Bloxwich in the 1770s. 90) By 1803 there were 10 societies in the borough and 13 in the foreign, with a total membership of 1,864. 91) In 1813 there were some 30 or 40 societies in borough and foreign, with a total membership of 1,786. In 1876 there were 36 registered societies in Walsall (fn. Among the Walsall societies in 1876 were 12 lodges and one juvenile branch of Odd Fellows, 8 courts and one juvenile society of the Ancient Order of Foresters, a division of the Sons of Temperance, and a sanctuary of the Ancient Order of Shepherds.
Matthew's day fair, but it coincided with the Michaelmas fair from 1627. Clement's day (23 November), when the mayor accounted. Bull-baiting took place at Bloxwich wake until the sport was banned by law in 1835. 11) Bear-baiting was probably another traditional sport: a bearward occurs in 1590, and a place called the bear-garden, evidently on Church Hill, is mentioned in 1750. 12) In 1702 there was a house in the town known as the Cock House, perhaps a cock-pit, and in the early 19th century mains were fought in a cock-pit behind the New Inn, Park Street, during Walsall races. 13) Cock-fighting apparently remained popular at Bloxwich until the late 19th century, and there were centres in Field Street and at the Barley Mow, Goscote. 14) In 1855 police raided a cock-fight at the Brickmakers' Arms, Birchills. 15) In 1599 John Persehouse the elder leased land in Holbrook field called 'bowling leys' to Roger Comberlege, reserving the right for himself and his friends to play bowls there. 16) The Persehouse family also had a bowling-green in Walsall field by 1693; it apparently descended with the Reynold's Hall estate. 17) In 1629 Edward Leigh of Rushall was imprisoned by the mayor for playing bowls on 'an open green' at Bloxwich. 18) There was a bowlinggreen at the Green Dragon in High Street by 1769, and by 1782 another in Birmingham Street, adjoining the Wheatsheaf. The title became simply the was established in 1868, under a slightly different title, by John and William Griffin. 78) It has absorbed three rivals and in 1954 became again (as it had briefly been in the 1920s) the town's only newspaper. 80) In 1836 a Walsall Literary Society was founded. 81) Nothing further is known of it, but in 1841 the Walsall Philosophical Institution was established in connexion with the library. The ground was taken over by Bloxwich Football Club . They included gift clubs, benefit societies attached to chapels, and six lodges of national orders such as Odd Fellows and Loyal Britons; it was claimed that Walsall had more friendly societies than any other town in Staffordshire. The Bloxwich societies included 2 lodges and 2 independent societies of Odd Fellows, 2 courts of Foresters, a lodge of Free Gardeners, and 2 lodges of Benevolent Brothers.
Anyone with questions relating to the scheme should contact Steven Edwards, senior transport planner at Walsall Council, on 01922 653614 or email [email protected] The demise of grand old Bloxwich pubs is continuing apace, it seems.
Reports have been coming in of the recent closure of The Sir Robert Peel in Bell Lane, and just today signs have been spotted in the windows of the Spring Cottage in Elmore Green Road saying 'Closed until further notice'. Pubs have been closing across the country apparently, presumably due to a combination of the economic situation, the high price of beer in pubs and the smoking ban, but this seems to have reached ridiculous proportions in Bloxwich over the past year. ), The Bulls Head (Park Road), The Prince of Wales (High Street), The Spotted Cow (Wolverhampton Road), The Sir Robert Peel and now, it seems, the Spring Cottage have all gone or appear to be in the process of going.